Dutch timber, stone and lobster traders were doing business in Flekkefjord as long ago as the 16th century. The trading centre was in the upper part of the town. It had hostels and inns, and Dutch traders brought their boats here, anchoring at “Høllen”. These were small vessels, often with the whole family aboard. Later, this district came to be known as “the Dutch quarter”. Little remains from those times, but a walk through some of the oldest settlements in the town, with the wooden houses, is a delight. Notice the beautiful Grand Hotell from 1898 in Øvrebyen, as well as Peersen the goldsmith’s, which sells replica bracteates – finds from Viking graves on Gyland.